NO₂ pollution from road traffic is a significant problem in cities across the UK.
Here are some stats that you might find alarming:
- According to research, road pollution affects virtually every aspect of Great Britain, with 94% of the country suffering higher than background levels of NO₂.
- NO₂ pollution is responsible for up to 65% of urban environmental pollution
- NO₂ pollution claims an estimated 40,000 lives each year in the UK
- Annual mean levels of NO₂ near busy roads regularly breach safe levels.
- London is one of Europe’s most NO₂ polluted cities, with pollution levels consistently exceeding legal limits.
NO₂ pollution can cause asthma, lung cancer, heart disease and dementia, so we must do everything we can to reduce our exposure to it.
That’s where Cool Runnings comes in. We specialise in NO₂ filtration, and our products make a real difference to the air quality in your home.
How does road pollution infiltrate your home or office?
Many people don’t realise that road pollution can enter buildings through open windows, doors, and ventilation systems.
That’s why having a NO₂ filter in your home is so important. NO₂ filters capture NO₂ particles from the air so that all you breathe is fresh filtered air.
How does NO₂ filtration work?
NO₂ is removed from the airstream by specially designed filters. These filters feature a combination of NO₂ and particulate removal technology, so you can be sure that the air you breathe is fresh and clean.
How do we ensure residents in heavily polluted zones can still enjoy the fresh air?
NO₂ pollution is a significant problem in cities across the UK, especially in London. So, during the planning stage of any new building, developers and consultants must assess whether the site falls within an Air Quality Management Area (AQMA). The installation of NO₂ filters is a legal requirement when a site falls within an AQMA.
Cornerstone Apartments (NOX filtration)
The MVHR units installed in each property already have a pair of G3 standard filters inserted. However, these filters only removed pollen, dust, and other particulates from the air. What they did not do was remove harmful Nitric Oxide and Nitrogen Dioxide (NOX).
In this case, we went with the Domus NOX-FILT in-line carbon filter. The NOX-FILT in-line carbon filter is a high-performance NO₂ filter that removes VOCs (volatile organic compounds) from the air. NO₂ pollution can interact with VOCs to form ozone – a pollutant that can cause various respiratory problems.
Here are the technical specifications of our NO₂ filter installation at Cornerstone Apartments:
- We kitted out the NOX-FILT in-line carbon filters with PM10 and PM2.5 filters to remove 99.5% of NO₂ and VOC (volatile organic compounds)
- The installed NO₂ filters will be regularly replaced by a member of the Cool Runnings team to ensure that the air quality in the building is always of the highest standard.
Cool Runnings not only designed, installed, and commissioned the MVHR systems, but we also installed the requisite NO₂ filters in all the apartments to ensure the air quality supersedes the current requirements under new building regulations.
NOX filtration can make a real difference in air quality in heavily polluted areas.
Contact us if you want to learn more about NO₂ filtration and enjoy fresh filtered air all year round. We would be happy to advise you on the best NO₂ filters for your home.